Thursday, November 05, 2009

Weeknight dinners - Creamy Dijon Beef with Mushrooms

I'm always on the look out for quick, easy and nutrious meals to good during weeknights (and weekends to be that matter).  Some recipes I make exactly, most of them I adapt to our likeing.  This one comes from CampbelKitchens.com.

Creamy Dijon Beef with Mushrooms
(served over rice)

1 cup of rice
2 cups cooking liquid
3/4 lb beef (I used a sirlion already cut into chuncks)
1 med. onion
2 cups mushrooms, sliced (to cut down on time, I used canned mushrooms)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup water
2T dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups broccoli (steamed)

First start the rice. I used a short grain white rice, but you could use any rice of your choice. When cooking rice, I almost always use chicken broth, it gives to more flavor.  Here I used one cup of rice in two cups of chicken broth, brought to a boil, then covered, simmered for 20 minutes. (A quick note: don't peak, just let the rice cook for 20 minutes and then fluff with a fork.)



After starting the rice, melt 1 1/2 T of butter in a non-stick pan. Once melted, add onions and cook until transulcent.



When the onions begin to carmelize, add the mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are warmed through, then transfer veggies to plate.



In the same pan, add the beef. Cook until evenly brown and cooked through.


Add the can of  cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup of water and 2T of dijon mustard. Stir and bring to a slight boil.




Serve over a bed of rice. I added broccoli, which added great color and a nice crunch.



A yummy meal for a cool, rainy night.

Now, if you don't like or eat beef, you could always make this with chicken. It could probably also be made without meat as well, however, if this was the case, I would use a variety of fresh mushrooms to add more flavor.

1 comment:

Cyndi said...

Gonna try this one out. Thanks for sharing!