Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Night At the Newsuem


Micah and I went to a preview of the Newsuem yesterday afternoon. The musuem had orginally been just outside of D.C. and just moved into downtown DC just steps away of the Capital building. The musuem is documents the 'news' business from the very beginning of the written word.

There is some very cool stuff at the musuem including the transmission tower from one of the World Trade Center Towers and in an exhibit dedicated to the attacks of 9/11, the story of how the news business scrambled to keep up with the events of the day are retold. This was probably one of the most powerful exhibits. In a tiny screening room, which was standing room only the entire time we were there, journalists retold their exepereinces that day. It was a very raw documentarty. At one point I looked around the room and saw many wiping tears from their faces.

Other parts of the musuem were more light-hearted. There is a part wehre you can become a t.v. news reporter or test your news trivia knowledge in several different interactive games.

Admission is inexpensive as fair as museums go, $20 for adults and I think $7 for kids. If you are in or around DC, I would suggest making this place a stop on your tour of the city. It opens to the public on April 11. Check out the website at www.newsuem.org.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
KT said...

J -- This museum sounds really cool! I will have to put it on my list of things to do one of the times I come down to see you:) I would probably be one of the people crying at the 9/11 exhibit...I still cry every year on the anniversary, and a lot of times just by seeing that commercial to build the memorial. Thanks for sharing about your trip there...hope to see you SOON:) I'll be giving you a jingle tomorrow to discuss our spring visit plans:P