Sunday, March 30, 2008

A tribute...

I don't typically post things on this blog that are do not directly connected to myself or Micah. However, the other day I learned of news that I thought I'd share, one, because his story is so moving and two, I hope that if people talk about what happened actions will be taken so it never happens again.

On Monday night, a young man passed away after being in a coma for nearly nine months. Zach Sowers was mugged and beaten while walking to his home just outside of Patterson Park (a neighborhood in Baltimore City). Four high school boys beat him so badly that he never regained consciousness. I first learned about this story about a month or so after the attack took place, when Zach was transferred to Sinai Hospital from a rehabilitation hospital due to an infection. He was at Sinai for a couple of days before being transferred back to Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Something about Zach's story touched a nerve within me. I don't know if it was what he and his family went through or that we are the same age or that he and his wife, Anna, were married one day before Micah and I were - maybe it was a combination of all three.

I've included a link to the blog his family started after the attack - www.zachsowers.com. If you have a moment, take a look. I'll warn you, it is sad. I figure sharing the story of Zach's life is the least I can do.

No comments: