Sunday, November 05, 2006

Calling all FOODIES

I honestly think Micah and I ate our way through Hawaii. Of course, calories don't count when you are on vacation.

And because I am a self-proclaimed foodie - here is a run down of all of the meals that we had on the islands.

Kauai
Tidepools - Grand Hyatt Kauai - Poipu
Our first night in Kauai and we were tired and starving, so we decided to try out one of the three restaurants at the hotel and according to all the guidebooks, Tidepools was the place to be. The food was to die for!! I had a mac nut breaded chicken breast in a cream sauce and Micah had fresh fish and lobster. I thought I had died and gone to heaven, it was soooo good. Oh and our table was right near the koi pond. Those were some of the biggest fish I have ever seen. And there were like a hundred of them.









Keiko's - Poipu
This place is part of a restaurant group on the islands and California. I really liked this place, it was low key and laid back, like most things on the islands. The food was good and was one of least expensive meals on the trip. Micah had some fish pasta dish, which he said was alright. I had a mac nut pesto pasta with shrimp. I liked it, but then again I've never met a pesto sauce I haven't liked. I would highly recommend this place.









Beach House - Poipu
The Kelley's recommend this place to us. It was suggested that we go during sunset, but we weren't able to get our act together to get there by sunset. However, we did have an 8:15pm reservation and got a table overlooking the water. Even in the dark, the crashing of the waves was very romantic. The food here was out of this world. Micah and I agreed that this was our favorite dinner. For starters we had fish nachos. At first I was a little worried, but it was great made with a sweet and spicy black bean risotto and a white fish. I had the ono (a tender white fish) topped with crab meat and sea scallops in a light cream sauce. Micah had the roasted duck and loved it. The one thing that did spoil the evening was bad service. We were seated for almost twenty minutes before anyone came over to take our order. It was disappointing because the food was so good.

Maui
Sansei - Kapalua

This sushi restaurant was recommended to use by almost everyone who had been to Maui before and it lived up to the expectations. The wait for a table was a bit long, but worth it. We got the Dynamite Shrimp (similiar to the Bang Bang Shrimp at Bonefish), sashimi and I got the mango roll (intersting) and spicy tuna. It was great sushi, very fresh. Micah and I both agreed that while it was great, Edo Sushi here in Baltimore offers just the same quality. Also, an important thing to note, on Thursday and Fridays, they discount their sushi after 10 pm. Most of the rolls are 50% off.

Longhi's - Lahaina
Micah's parents told us about this place, they had been nearly 15 years before. The restaurant is a throw back to what I believe Maui might have looked like when the place first opened. The food was very good, a little pricy, but good. We both got a shrimp dish. Mine was in a orange-ginger sauce, Micah's was in a cream sauce. I recommend this place.

Kimo's - Lahaina
This is part of the same restaurant group as Keiko's in Poipu and the menus are very similiar. I got a shrimp and steak dinner. I wasn't really impressed. The steak was a little dry and favorless. Micah had the lobster stuffed mahi mahi, which he raved about. I would recommend this place, just stay with the fish.










Lahaina Fish Co. - Lahaina

I loved this place. We ate a late dinner and got a table right next to the water. It was a beautiful evening. Micah had a fresh fish stew, filled with scallops, shrimp, fish and crab meat. I had the mahi mahi is a mac nut sauce with Maui onion potatoes. I loved it. And we got a ton of food for a great price. The atmosphere here was great. If you ever find yourself in Maui, you have to stop by here.









That's it. My semi-professional review of our dining experiences in Hawaii.

No comments: