Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Giving Thanks

It seems odd that we've designated one day to give thanks. To me there is so much that we have to be thankful for that we should do it more often than this one day in November. I'm thankful for my family and friends. I'm thankful for my loving and amazing husband, Micah. I'm thankful for the thousands of men and women serving the Armed Forces, who have committed their lives to protecting our, America's, thoughts and beliefs. I'm thankful that I have a good job, a roof over my head and food on the table. I'm thankful for the freedom of speech that allows me to keep this blog.

This Thanksgiving, Micah and I headed west to Michigan to spend the holiday with my family. This year was quiet, just mom and dad, Jill, Micah and I. Mom also invited over a co-worker to round out the bunch to six. A quieter version of last year, where we had both sets of grandparents and boyfriends.

Per usual, Mom and I made our annual after-Thanksgiving shopping trip. We both got great deals at Sam's Club, Target and JoAnn's. It is great to get deals on gifts, but it more fun watching Mom run around Target, weaving the cart inbetween other crazed shoppers, trying to get whatever the other people are running for. Every year she had no idea what the sales are and is constantly amazed at how many people are line up to get the sales. This year, caught up the festivies, Mom took off running as soon as we got in. For a brief moment, the two of us were seperated and when I finally met back up with her, she had a under the cabinet radio in the cart. I looked at her, with a confused looked on face. Her only comment was, "people were grabbing them and I thought I needed it." We both laughed. Consumerism at its best.

Happy Holidays!

No comments: