Saturday, January 10, 2009

Freezer meals

I think I mentioned this really cool place, Let's Dish, in an early post. I had won a gift certificate in a fish bowl raffle earlier this year before I found out I was pregnant. The concept behind Let's Dish is to make meals that are freezeable, so you don't have to worry about making meals during a busy day. I decided to wait and use the certificate until closer to my due date. So two or three weeks before Abby arrived I made four meals (that I actually split into two meals each because each meal serves 6-8 people so I had 8 meals that were easy to make.) The entire time I was at the store, I kept thinking, "I can do this without paying someone else to purchase the food for me."

So today that is exactly what I did. I made a menu of 5-6 meals that I could prep today and freeze. I did a lot of the prep work so for the most part, all I have to do is cook them. I chose recipes that were easy to freeze, meatloaf, calazones, stuffed chicken, fajitas, cranberry chicken and mac and cheese. Most of the meals I was able to breakdown into two different servings, so I actually almost doubled the number of meals. (Of course this only works if you feed 2-3 people, but can only seem to make family quanity recipes.) If everything works out and tastes good, I'll post the recipies.

I'm hoping doing about three hours of work this afternoon, will help reduce some of the stress that will come when Micah goes back to work on Monday. At least I don't have to worry about what we will have for dinner. (And if I'm really tired, Micah could make one of the meals - with a lot of direction by me, but at least he doesn't have to do all the prep work.)

As a reward, if you finished reading this entire post, here are pictures of Abby. (I think my life would have been threatened if I wrote another post without pictures.)

Hanging out on my playmat

Snuggling with Dad

Sleeping in the swing

2 comments:

Pink Pixel Princess said...

THANK YOU , THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting picures, now your ears won't ring ;)

She is so beautiful, hopefully she likes the swing, it can be a life saver.

Looking forward to the update on the freezer meals. Now that I have been back to work I was doing the same things but was getting burnt on my recipes, so I can't wait to see yours.
Take Care

Cyndi said...

I look forward to an update on your freezer meals too and hopefully the recipes.