Monday, May 26, 2008

Long Weekends

I love long weekends, especially when the weather is nice. This weekend, Micah and I headed out the Deep Creek Lake. We left Baltimore around 5:30pm and didn't arrive at the lake until after 10 pm. Traffic was horrible. Thankfully that was the worst part of the weekend.

The weather was amazing the entire weekend. There is nothing better than curling up on a lounge chair with a good book. We also spent time out on my father-in-law's new boat. On Sunday, we even packed a picnic and headed out on the boat for a yummy lunch in the sun. If only the water was a little warmer, Micah said he would have gone swimming. I, on the other hand, didn't even stick my toes it.

Reese, as with any water dog, didn't mind the cold water and went for a couple of dips. And with all the rain Maryland has gotten this spring, the water in the lake was quite high. He doesn't like to got farther than he can stand, and it wasn't very far this weekend.

I also finished two books this weekend (have I mentioned that I love lake weekends). I finally finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. Another dark book from Picoult, but equally good. I really love Picoult's style of writing and enjoy that she writes about New England, because I can picture the people, town and landmarks so easily.

I also read Water for Elephants. What a great book! Quick read, but the author does a great job developing the characters so you fall in love with their story lines. Highly recommend this book for anyone heading to the beach this summer.

* * *
On a side note, welcome to all the new readers as part of NLCM. If you are interested in what this is, click the logo on the right hand side, it goes into all the details. Happy reading and posting!

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Loved Water for Elephants!! Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Erin said...

Here from NaComLeavMo! Your house is so pretty, and I love the landscaping! It sounds like it was a great weekend, very relaxing other than the traffic. I'm also a Jodi Picoult fan!

Juicy said...

sounds like a fantastic way to spend a weekend! I never get the chance to finish 1 book, let alone 2. I also enjoyed "Water for Elephants" and found myself wanting a part 2 when it ended.

I'm here from NaComLeavMo and I'll be bookmarking your site. :)

Erin said...

Visiting via NaComLeavMo, Sounds like you had a good weekend. I love reading weekends. I might have to pick up 19 minutes. I really liked My Sister's Keeper and kept handing it around a few years ago.

p.s. I hate summer traffic too!

littleangelkisses said...

Nineteen Minutes is one of those books that I love, but truly makes me question everything I know. I am a teacher and a mother. It frightened me deeply.

Nicky said...

Here from NaComLeavMo. Still only halfway through Water for Elephants... it's another in a series of books that I started, my husband started reading over my shoulder... and since I read "too slow" for his taste, he stole it from me so he could finish it. I should go back to it one of these days....

Rachelle said...

I'm from NCLM. Jodi Picoult is one of my favorite authors. I loved Nineteen Minutes, especially since I am a teacher. I just finished her "Change of Heart" book and am reading "Plain truth".

KT said...

J -- Geesh, look at all these new friends you have! Glad to hear you had a great weekend!

I was able to get to Maine for Sunday (so fabulous I didn't want to leave!) I am looking forward to some summer days off to do some reading...if you've seen my Goodreads page recently, you'll know how many books I've got on the to-read shelf! Water for Elephants is on my TBR list and I've had 19 Minutes on my TBR-ASAP shelf behind my bed for a wile now, so I'm glad to hear you liked them both! And I'll have to check out this NaComLeavMo thingy too!

Can't wait to see you guys at the end of the June!! Love & Hugz!!~KT

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

Go NaComLeavMo! :)

Hello from a fellow Marylander (down here in Glen Burnie). I also loved Water for Elephants. If you're interested, I'm posting my review of it on my blog today.

Cyndi said...

Loved both those books!

Mara said...

I've heard of Water for Elephants from about 4 different people... I think I'm definitely going to HAVE to pick it up and read it soon!


It sounds like you had a great weekend! Relaxing, fun weekends are awesome.

Here from NCLM