Friday, April 04, 2008

Back on Track

My diet is back on track. I fell of the band wagon slighting in March. Starting a new job really threw me for a loop. I was so used to eating lunch with the entire department at LifeBridge Health that it was hard to get into the rhythm of eating at my desk again. For the first couple of weeks at the new job, I would go out to get something to eat just to simple step away from the office for a few minutes. Of course, getting something to eat mostly meant a tasty sandwich from Subway or Quinzos (once I got a burrito from the Nino Taco - not sure I'll ever to that again).


And on top of the new job, Easter came early this year. I know that sounds weird coming from a good Jewish girl, but I have a confession to make. I'm addicted to Easter candy. I know that sounds even weirder, but it is true. I LOVE Cadbury Mini Eggs, Cadbury Creme Eggs and jelly beans. The love is so great that I can hear them calling me from the shelves of any store I walk into. (Much like the Reese Peanut Butter Cups call Mum.) I can't seem to resist these little packets of Easter chocolate goodness. They somehow find their way in my cart and I end up eating them. It is a sickness I tell you.

Most years I can avoid this sugar rush because Easter and Passover typically are overlap and I keep Kosher for Passover (which means I don't eat anything with corn syrup in it, thus elimating all chocolate). With the early Easter holiday, my willpower faltered and I ate way to much.

But I'm back on track now. Last weekend I stocked up on fruits and veggies and brought my lunch to work everyday this week. In addition to overhauling my diet, I've made the commitment to work out at least five days a week. I've even started working out with a trainer twice a week - which is hard but rewarding. Hopefully by the time real bathing suit weather comes around, my arms, tush and mid-section will be looking smok'in (okay at least a little less flabby)!

3 comments:

Cyndi said...

MMM...cadbury creme eggs. I know how you feel, the girls got enough candy to last until Halloween!! I've done well though and only had a couple of pieces. Sounds like you've jumped right back in on the right track so that is great! I need to email you about coming down for a visit this summer.

KT said...

I can't help but laugh when I read about your Easter candy addiction and think that this is just one more thing we have in common. I am the self-dubbed (and much worshiped by my staff) Goddess of Candy Holidays. I rise at 7:45 am the day after candy holidays(and you know it's serious if I am up at 7:45 AM!!) to hit up the three closest Target stores when they opened to raid them of their half-off candy. Easter was a challenge this year, as Target was closed that day, so the staff was restocking as I swept in at 8 for my candy fix...and I was horrified to find that there was barely any candy to be found!! *gasp* I came to work with three measly bags of Starburst jellybeans, two bags of Nerds/Sweetarts, and one bag with individual "bags" of mini cadbury eggs (which I will never understand everyone's obsession with) and M&M's that really only contained like five little pieces of candy each. This is an unacceptable "score" for Easter because it is now the longest wait between candy holidays (Halloween is soooooo far away!) I was sure to let the Target staff know of my disappointment at their selection after forcing one poor stock boy to check out back for any good stuff!

Anywho, I hope your diet & exercise plan goes well. Alas, I can never succeed at the diet end of things because all that good-for-you stuff is just not for me, but I am doing my best to be more consistent with my gym visits (thank goodness for a gym open 24 hours a day!) I wish I had a trainer to push me, but I am too cheap (and they usually don't offer trainers as late at night as I am at the gym!) I've even lost my gym buddy:( But I will push on...besides, there's always the chance that some hottie may be on the eliptical machine next to me and that's all the motivation I need:)

Jillian said...

I am proud of you that you have gotten back on track. When i come out to visit you we are definitly going to the gym everyday!!! I hate going, but i go! Miles is so proud of me, how did i end up marrying a person who loves to work out and use to be a personal trainer when i hate going to the gym. Actually he is probably wondering the same about me.