Friday, November 16, 2007

Beowulf


I have a problem with this classic tale being turned into a major motion picture. It may be because I was an English major and had to read the story four times, but it just seems wrong. Beowulf, for those of you who were never forced to read it, is one of, if not the earliest, stories every to be written down.

First, the movie is in English, regular common day English. The original story of Beowulf is written in Old English, something that is barely understandable to read, but that is what makes the story so interesting to read.

Second. I hate when someone in Hollywood tells me what a man character is going to look like. One of the greatest things about reading a book, is the readers interpretation of the characters. I have a picture of what Grendel should look like and I'm pretty sure it isn't what the movie's director thinks. This is just one reason why movies are killing our imaginations.

Third. Two words. Angelina Jolie. WHY?! WHY?! Why is she Grendel's mother????

I'm sure that Beowulf will make a ton of money. But what are thousands of kids losing by not reading this treasured pieces of literature??? I'm all for making good movies but not at the costs of a good education.

I'm stepping off my soap box.

3 comments:

Jillian said...

i just finished reading your rants about the movie, and i was just wondering if you condiered all your favorite Disney classics that are retold in cartoon version. Did you also know that the movie Beowolf is actually all animation and not real life persons. Crazy! Call me soon.

Jennifer said...

I don't think that the Disney versions of fairy tales are that off the mark. And yes, I did know that part of Beowulf is animated. I don't think that makes a difference:)

Cyndi said...

It would be nice if Hollywood could come up with some original ideas instead of crappy versions of good books. That's what I love about the Pixar movies. An original story with a nice message and little violence. I love Disney and all but what is up with the violence and killing off or lack of Mothers???? Someone's got issues.