Friday, July 13, 2007

Summer Yummies

Plump, juicy, red ruby fruits of summer. The tomatoes are starting to ripen on the vine. This year, I started a handful of tomatoe plants by seed. In early April, I put the tiny seeds in mini-greenhouse on the windowsil in the kitchen. With love, care and lots of water, they grew big enough to be replanted and now are at home in big pots on the deck. After patiently watering, sometimes twice a day due to the southern heat, I've finally got my first red tomato. I'm very excited. More for the fact I haven't managed to kill them yet.

My little garden, if you can even call it that, reminds me of walking through Grampie's garden in the summer. It was always full of colorful veggies. Dad, Grampie, Jill and I would walk across the yard and peer in between the rows looking for the ripe produce. I always loved picking cucumbers and nothing tastes as good as a sandwich made with cukes picked straight from the garden.

In the next couple of days, I should have more cherry tomatoes than I know what to do with. If anyone has any good recipes that call for cherry tomatoes, please pass them along.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute little garden.You will always be a county gal. good for you.
Maybe some day you will be able to have a garden like grampie used too.

Pink Pixel Princess said...

Okay you made me hungry for a cucumber snadwich with Mircel WHip...
gotta go to the refrig....
thanks

Anonymous said...

I think its very interesting that you are growing tomatos, because last time I checked you didn't even like tomatos. But they look good, maybe if you still have some in August, you can bring me some.

Recipe: Fresh Mozzarela with Fresh Basil and Balsimic Vinegar. If you want to try it.