Monday, March 19, 2007

Let the Madness Begin

The Sweet Sixteen teams are determined after this past weekend of basketball March Madness. I do have one bone to pick... basketball isn't the only sports madness going on - there is hockey! I know, most of the country doesn't even know how to skate, but hockey is the sport of choice for those of us from Northeast and upper Midwest (even parts of the Northwest). It might also be that I graduated from the school with the worst Division I basketball record in NCAA history.

You haven't seen madness until you see a player shoot a 3-inch round saucer past a two defenders and a goal into the net. Or until you watch a goalie stand on his head in double overtime to win a national title. Or until you've traveled all the way across the country to watch you team play a conference rival in a state that doesn't even have ice. College hockey is more intense than college basketball will ever be.

The Madness begins this weekend in four barns in Denver, Grand Rapids, Rochester and Manchester. (And for those of you that know, even a little bit about college hockey - there are five Hockey East teams in the top 16 competting for the national title. If that isn't a sign of the best conference in the country, I don't know what is.)

Below is the bracket for the Division I Men's Ice Hockey Tournament. Let the madness begin. Go 'Cats!!

2007 NCAA Tournament

Denver
1 Minnesota vs. 4 Air Force
2 Michigan vs. 3 North Dakota

Grand Rapids
1 Notre Dame vs. 4 Alabama-Huntsville
2 Boston University vs. 3 Michigan State

Rochester
1 Clarkson vs. 4 Massachusetts
2 St. Cloud vs. 3 Maine

Manchester
1 New Hampshire vs. 4 Miami
2 Boston College vs. 3 St. Lawrence

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Cats!! I can't believe we get stuck with BC again:( I thought we'd have the luck of the Irish with a Southie boy in the nets last weekend (stupid flu bug!), but I'll take 2 W's this weekend (see if we can't pull out a 1-4 record vs BC this month!) Keep your fingers crossed!! Go Boyz!!

Pink Pixel Princess said...

okay I'm not as big a hockey fan as you, but whats a Miami team?
I'm going to my second STOCKTON THUNDER game next week!!! Yeah thought I was excited when we got the SHARKS in San Jose.. now the Thunder just 20 minutes away!!!!
My friends friend Downs son go the game puck .. it was so exciting! My girlfriend who has the season tickets never had been to a game... gee thats why she need to go get a jacket!!! Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so one of these years we are going to have to show up in the clutch! What a disappointing day...now Coach has to wait until next year for win #400...and what is up with Maine coming alive in the spring? ARGH!!! All I have left is to hope that the team that beat us beats everyone else!