Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Snow day

No, I didn't have a snow day today. Actually being a PIO (Public Information Officer) for a hospital, we actually are required to go to work during natural disasters. Fun. Now I wouldn't quite call the the snow fall we got last night a 'disaster,' it was, according to this New England girl, flurries. We got maybe an inch of the light white fluffy snow. You know the kind that blows around with ease.

So as I drove into work this morning, listening to my favorite country music station, I listened carefully as almost every public school across the state called off school. FOR AN INCH OF SNOW. I just don't understand. Maybe it is because I grew up in New Hampshire, where school isn't cancelled unless we get more than five inches of snow, and in most cases we only got a two-hour delay.

One of the funniest things I've seen this winter is how the television stations in Baltimore make a HUGE deal over an impending snow storm, i.e. 1-2 inches. The reports cause panic and people rush to the store to buy milk, bread and toliet paper. Because if I'm trapped in the house, I'd want to make sure I had enough bread. (Being my father's daughter, I make a stop at the liquor store for beer.) And driving in the snow, even flurries, people slow down to a screetching halt, driving only 5 miles and hour. The other day it took me over and hour to got 9 miles. I wanted to SCREAM.

I don't think that I'll ever get used to winters here. I hate to admit it, but I actually miss New England winters.

3 comments:

Cyndi said...

Yeah, I never really got the whole running to the store to get bread, milk etc. Unless you were really low. Who doesn't have enough to eat in the house for one day??
We had one morning recently where all the surrounding towns had a two hour delay except for us. It wasn't really that bad. I think the town took the extra time to do a really good job on the roads because they haven't had to do much so far this year.

Pink Pixel Princess said...

what new england girl doesn't keep there house stocked with food etc... but I agree with Jen make sure you have plenty of beer!
rain is like snow out here in Ca.. its crazy... I still miss the snow and I can;t believe any child of mine has never experienced a snow day... they never let me forget... hmmm talk to you father

Anonymous said...

There is something crazier then canceling school because of 1 inch of snow. In Michigan the last two days they cancelled over 350 schools because, and pay attention to this, "It was too COLD out". Does that even make sense, Are they holding class outdoors now??

Thought you might find that interesting.