Monday, December 25, 2006

Holiday Happenings

"Can I do anything to help?" The most common question asked this weekend. Of course I needed help. I was making my first holiday meal. But this is a rite of passage for any married woman, hosting and cooking the first meal for her extended family and I was bound and determined to do it all by myself. I took pleasure in peeling the potatoes (a task that was avoided at all costs while growing up) and pinching the green beans, even preparing the turkey. This was my meal and I had been planning it ever since inviting my parents and sister down this fall. Everything went perfectly, I timed the meal so that all dishes were still piping hot when we sat down to eat.

Here was the menu, for all the foodies, if you don't care, please skip to the bottom:

Appetizer
Low-fat crap Rangoon
Chicken liver pate

Main Meal
Turkey
Apple, cranberry and pecan stuffing
Whipped potatoes
Steamed green beans
Apple kugal
Cranberry sauce
Rolls

Besides eating, which we did a lot of the entire weekend, we did the tradition gift exchange. I couldn't wait to see Dad's face when he opened his gift from Micah and I. My father has become a cigar connoisseur as of late, well really every since the Red Sox won the World Series. He must have mentioned several times over Thanksgiving that he wanted a humidor, so I took a trip to the Mount Washington cigar shop and bought him one. It isn't anything fancy, a medium sized humidor that will hold up to twenty cigars, but really how many cigars can one man have at a time. To say the least, he loved it. And the look on his face the reason why we all give gifts. It reminds me of the BMW commercial with the little boy just screaming after he opens the gift that he wanted. You want to have every person you give a gift to have this reaction. It truly is better to give than to receive.

2 comments:

Cyndi said...

Sounds like everything went well. Can I assume my brother is spending his free time parked in front of his new TV smoking cigars??

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great first Christmas meal with your folks.
Glad everything went well.
Thanks for our Christmas gift,will probably eat it on New Year's eve.